Are you searching for a quality pellet smoker that won’t break the bank? Look no further than the best pellet smokers under $500.
As someone who loves to cook and entertain, I’ve tried out several pellet smokers over the years and have discovered that you don’t have to spend a fortune to get a delicious, smoky flavor.
In fact, many affordable pellet smokers offer excellent performance, convenience, and durability. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pitmaster, these budget-friendly options will give you the perfect excuse to fire up the grill and impress your guests with mouth-watering smoked meats, veggies, and more.
So, let’s dive into the top pellet smokers under $500 and find the one that fits your needs and budget!
8 Best Pellet Smokers Under $500
|1.||Z GRILLS ZPG-450A Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker||Check Price|
|2.||Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill||Check Price|
|3.||Traeger Pro Series 575 Pellet Grill||Check Price|
|4.||Pit Boss Austin XL Pellet Grill||Check Price|
|5.||Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett||Check Price|
|6.||Cuisinart CPG-4000 Wood BBQ Pellet Grill and Smoker||Check Price|
|7.||Weber 23510201 SmokeFire EX4 Wood Fired Pellet Grill||Check Price|
|8.||Broil King 495051 Regal Pellet 500 Pellet Grill||Check Price|
1. Z GRILLS ZPG-450A Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker
|Cooking area||452 square inches|
|Temperature range||180° to 450° F|
|Hopper capacity||15 lbs|
|Construction||Steel with high-temperature powder coating finish|
|Grill type||Wood fire pellet grill|
|Additional functionalities||8-in-1 versatility: barbecue, bake, roast, braise, smoke, grill, sear, char-grill|
With its 8-in-1 versatility, this pellet grill can handle everything from smoking and grilling to baking and roasting. The wood pellet grill technology ensures that your food gets that delicious, smoky flavor without any fuss or mess.
One of the standout features of the Z GRILLS ZPG-450A is its ease of use. Simply set the temperature, sit back, and relax while the grill does all the work for you. And thanks to the PID technology, you can expect consistent results every time.
Another benefit of this pellet smoker is its generous hopper capacity. With a 15 lbs capacity, you can cook for hours without worrying about constantly refilling the hopper.
However, there are a few downsides to keep in mind. The cooking area may be too small for larger families or parties, and some users have reported issues with the temperature probe and the paint chipping off.
Overall, the Z GRILLS ZPG-450A Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker is a solid choice for those looking for a budget-friendly pellet smoker with excellent performance and versatility.
- Versatile 8-in-1 functionality
- Wood pellet grill technology for a delicious smoky flavor
- Easy to use with consistent results
- Large hopper capacity for longer cooking time
- Sturdy steel construction for durability
- Small cooking area
- Issues with temperature probe and paint chipping off
2. Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill
- The automatic pellet auger dispenses when needed and shuts down when done
- Clean-out ash can makes clean up simple
- Large capacity pellet hopper means less filling, more smoking
- Grilling Area Dimensions: 19.5″ x 22″ – Smoking/Warming Rack Dimensions: 6″ x 24″
- Total Rack Surface Area: 573 sq. in – Hopper Capacity: 18 lbs. of pellets – Overall weight: 140 lbs.
The Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill is a versatile 8-in-1 grill that can do everything from smoking and grilling to baking and roasting.
The automatic pellet auger takes the guesswork out of the equation, dispensing pellets as needed and shutting down when the cooking process is complete. With a hopper capacity of 18 lbs, you’ll be able to smoke your food for hours without worrying about running out of pellets.
One of the standout features of the Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill is the clean-out ash can, which makes cleanup a breeze. You won’t have to spend hours scrubbing away at the grill after each use. Instead, simply remove the ash can and dispose of the ashes.
The large grilling area of 573 sq. gives you plenty of space to cook your food, while the warming rack provides an additional 144 sq. of space to keep your food warm. The grill is also built with sturdy steel construction and is powder coated for long-lasting durability.
- The automatic pellet auger makes it easy to use
- Clean-out ash can simplify cleaning process
- Large hopper capacity allows for longer smoking times
- Versatile 8-in-1 cooking capabilities
- Some users have reported issues with temperature consistency
- Pellets can sometimes jam the auger
3. Traeger Pro Series 575 Pellet Grill
- Cooking Area Dimensions: 418 sq. in.
- Hopper Capacity: 18 lbs. of pellets
- Max Temperature: 500°F
- Grill Grate Material: Porcelain-Coated Steel
- Weight: 128 lbs.
- Dimensions: 41 x 27 x 53 inches
The Traeger Pro Series 575 Pellet Grill is one of the most popular pellet grills on the market, and for good reason. It offers precise temperature control, versatile cooking options, and easy clean-up. Here’s a detailed look at the features and performance of this grill.
One of the most significant features of the Traeger Pro Series 575 Pellet Grill is its WiFIRE technology, which allows the user to control the grill from anywhere using the Traeger app.
This means you can monitor your food’s progress, adjust the temperature, and set timers without ever leaving your seat.
Another standout feature is the grill’s 6-in-1 versatility, allowing you to grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and BBQ all on the same grill. The porcelain-coated grill grates are easy to clean, and the built-in meat probe ensures that your food is cooked to perfection every time.
With 575 sq. in. of grilling space, the Traeger Pro Series 575 is perfect for family cooking, and can easily accommodate 24 burgers, five-rib racks, or four chickens. The grill heats up quickly and maintains a consistent temperature, thanks to the D2 drivetrain and precise temperature control.
- Versatile 6-in-1 cooking options
- WiFIRE technology for remote control
- Built-in meat probe for perfect results every time
- Easy to clean porcelain-coated grill grates
- Large cooking area for family cooking
- Consistent temperature control for even cooking
- The grill is heavy and difficult to move
- The app can be glitchy at times
Overall, the Traeger Pro Series 575 Pellet Grill is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a versatile, easy-to-use pellet grill with precise temperature control and convenient WiFIRE technology. It’s built to last and will provide years of great grilling and smoking experiences for you and your family.
4. Pit Boss Austin XL Pellet Grill
- Four rolling casters
- Temperature range 150 – 500 F
- Over 1000 sq in porcelain-coated cooking surface
- Innovative flame broiler for direct flame grilling
- Digitally controlled board with LED readout with meat probe
- Heavy-duty steel construction
This grill offers a perfect combination of affordability, versatility, and quality. Whether you want to smoke, grill, bake, braise, roast, or sear, Pit Boss Austin XL Pellet Grill can do it all for you. Here is a detailed review of the grill along with its pros and cons.
The Pit Boss Austin XL Pellet Grill comes with an extensive range of features. The grill has a temperature range of 150 – 500 F, which makes it suitable for cooking various types of dishes.
The porcelain-coated cooking surface provides more than 1000 sq in of space, which is large enough to cook multiple items simultaneously. The grill also features an innovative flame broiler, which allows for direct flame grilling.
Another unique feature of the Pit Boss Austin XL Pellet Grill is its digitally controlled board with LED readout and meat probe. This feature enables you to monitor the temperature of your food without lifting the lid. The meat probe helps you ensure that your food is cooked to perfection.
The Pit Boss Austin XL Pellet Grill has four rolling casters that make it easy to move the grill around your yard. The heavy-duty steel construction ensures the durability of the grill, making it a great long-term investment for your outdoor cooking needs.
- Large cooking surface area
- Innovative flame broiler for direct flame grilling
- Digitally controlled board with LED readout and meat probe
- Durable heavy-duty steel construction
- Four rolling casters for easy mobility
- Affordable price for the size and quality
- Assembly can be challenging
- The temperature control can be difficult to adjust at times
If you’re looking for a high-quality, versatile pellet grill that won’t break the bank, the Pit Boss Austin XL Pellet Grill is an excellent choice.
It offers a range of features, including a large cooking surface area, an innovative flame broiler, a digitally controlled board with LED readout and meat probe, and heavy-duty steel construction.
While assembly may be a bit challenging, the grill’s affordable price and exceptional quality make it an ideal investment for outdoor cooking enthusiasts.
5. Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett
- Dimensions: 29.5 x 20 x 14.5 inches
- Weight: 68 pounds
- Cooking Area: 219 square inches
- Hopper Capacity: 9 pounds
- Temperature Range: 150°F to 550°F
- Power Source: 110V or 12V
Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett is a WiFi-controlled portable wood pellet grill designed for outdoor cooking enthusiasts who love to take their grills on the go.
It’s compact, lightweight, and versatile, making it one of the best pellet smokers under $500. Here’s a detailed review of its specifications, features, pros, and cons.
The Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett offers many features that make it a popular choice among outdoor cooking enthusiasts.
One of its key features is Sense-Mate, a thermal sensor that constantly monitors grill temperature and adjusts the airflow to maintain a consistent cooking temperature.
It also comes with a meat probe, a peaked lid for rib racks, and a convenient tray for added convenience.
Another great feature of this grill is its portability. Weighing only 68 pounds and folding up to fit in nearly any trunk, it’s the perfect tailgating grill or camping companion. The grill is also available with adapters for 3 power options, making it easy to use anywhere.
The Davy Crockett is easy to use and operate, thanks to its digital control board with LED readout. You can set the temperature, monitor the cooking time, and adjust the smoke level from the comfort of your phone with the Green Mountain Grills app.
Positive and Negative Balance:
The Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett is a great pellet smoker with many positive features. It’s portable, easy to use, and has a wide temperature range.
The Sense-Mate technology makes it easy to maintain a consistent cooking temperature, while the meat probe ensures perfectly cooked meat every time.
However, some users have reported that the temperature readings on the grill can be slightly off, so it’s important to use a reliable meat thermometer to ensure accurate cooking temperature. Also, the small cooking area may not be sufficient for larger families or groups.
- Portable and lightweight design
- Sense-Mate technology for consistent temperature
- Meat probe for perfectly cooked meat
- Digital control board with LED readout for easy use
- Wide temperature range
- Temperature readings may be slightly off
- Small cooking area
Overall, the Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett is a great option for outdoor cooking enthusiasts who want a portable pellet grill with great features. Its compact size and ease of use make it a great choice for tailgating, camping, or backyard cooking.
6. Cuisinart CPG-4000 Wood BBQ Pellet Grill and Smoker
One of the standout features of the Cuisinart CPG-4000 is its versatility. You can use it to grill, smoke, roast, braise, barbecue, and even bake. This makes it a great choice for anyone who wants to do more than just grill burgers and hot dogs.
The grill also comes with a range of accessories that make it even more convenient to use. The weather-resistant grill cover is a nice touch and will help to protect your grill from the elements.
The stationary side shelf and collapsible front shelf provide additional workspace, making it easier to prep your food and keep everything organized.
Another great thing about this grill is its construction. The wind and water-resistant fabric will keep your grill safe from the elements and even UV rays. This means you can leave your grill outside all year round without worrying about it getting damaged.
When it comes to performance, the Cuisinart CPG-4000 does not disappoint. It offers a large cooking area and a 15-pound hopper capacity, so you can cook up a feast without having to constantly refill the hopper.
The grill heats up quickly and maintains a consistent temperature, so you can achieve great results every time.
- Versatile: grill, smoke, roast, braise, barbecue, and bake
- Large cooking area and a hopper capacity
- Weather-resistant grill cover included
- The stationary side shelf and collapsible front shelf provide additional workspace
- Wind and water-resistant fabric protects the grill from the elements and UV rays
- Heats up quickly and maintains a consistent temperature
- On the heavier side, so it may be difficult to move around without help
- Some users have reported issues with the pellet feeder getting clogged
Overall, the Cuisinart CPG-4000 is an excellent pellet grill and smoker that offers a range of features and accessories that make it a great choice for any outdoor cooking enthusiast.
7. Weber 23510201 SmokeFire EX4 Wood Fired Pellet Grill
- Temperature range 200-600°F
- Cooking space 672 sq. in.
- Power source Wood Pellet
- Grill grates Porcelain-enameled
- Smart features Weber Connect, two meat probes (four probe capacity)
- Engine DC-powered, designed to prevent auger jams
If you’re looking for a wood-fired pellet grill that delivers outstanding grilling and smoking performance, the Weber SmokeFire EX4 is a perfect choice. This grill is designed to sear and smoke your meats to perfection, with a wide temperature range of 200-600°F, making it perfect for a variety of grilling techniques.
One of the best things about this grill is its porcelain-enameled finish, which helps prevent rusting and cracking, ensuring it lasts for years to come. With a large 672 square inches of dual grilling space, you can cook multiple dishes at once, which makes it perfect for entertaining.
One of the standout features of the Weber SmokeFire EX4 is its DC-powered engine, which is specially designed to prevent auger jams.
This ensures that your grill performs flawlessly, so you can focus on the cooking. Plus, it’s designed to distribute even heat across the cooking area, so you get consistent results every time.
The Weber SmokeFire EX4 also boasts new Weber Connect smart features, which allow you to monitor and control your grill from your smartphone. It includes two meat probes, with a four-probe capacity, so you can keep an eye on the temperature of your meats without having to constantly check them.
- Wide temperature range allows for versatile cooking techniques
- Large cooking space perfect for entertaining
- The porcelain-enameled finish helps prevent rusting and cracking
- DC-powered engine prevents auger jams
- Even heat distribution ensures consistent results
- Weber Connect smart features allow for remote monitoring and control
- Two meat probes included with four-probe capacity
- On the pricier side compared to other pellet grills
- Requires wood pellets as a power source, which can be more expensive than other fuel sources
Overall, the Weber SmokeFire EX4 is an excellent investment for anyone who loves to grill and smoke meats. Its durable construction, even heat distribution, and smart features make it stand out from other pellet grills on the market.
While it may be pricier than some other options, its performance and versatility make it well worth the investment.
8. Broil King 495051 Regal Pellet 500 Pellet Grill
- Cooking surface area: 625 sq. inches
- Hopper Capacity: 22 lbs.
- Temperature range: 180°F – 600°F
- Digital control and display
- Wifi and Bluetooth enabled
- Dimensions: 51.2″ W x 49.2″ H x 26.2″ D
The Regal Pellet 500 is designed to be the ultimate grilling machine, with a large cooking surface area of 625 square inches and a hopper capacity of 22 pounds. This makes it perfect for hosting large gatherings or cooking for the family.
The digital control and display allow you to easily set your cooking temperature and precisely adjust it to the degree. You can smoke at 225°F, roast at 350°F, or sear steaks at 600°F with ease. The temperature control knob makes it easy to adjust the temperature and achieve your desired cooking results.
This grill is Wifi and Bluetooth enabled, which means you can control it from your smartphone. The controller also features an integrated timer, two temperature probes, and three quick-set temperature keys, making it easy to operate.
Cleaning this grill is easy, thanks to the pellet clear-out chute that allows you to easily empty the pellets. The hidden grease tray and ash collector keep the grill tidy and are easily removed for cleaning.
One of the best features of this grill is its durability. It comes with a 5-year warranty on the grill body and a 2-year warranty on the remaining parts and paint, ensuring that your pellet grill will be ready for years of cookouts and delicious BBQ meals with your family.
- Wifi and Bluetooth enabled for remote control
- Large cooking surface area
- Digital control and display for precise temperature adjustment
- Easy to clean with pellet clear-out chute, hidden grease tray, and ash collector
- Durable with a 5-year warranty on the grill body
- It is a bit expensive compared to other pellet grills on the market.
- The assembly instructions could be better.
Overall, the Broil King 495051 Regal Pellet 500 Pellet Grill is a great option for those looking for a high-performance grill with a large cooking surface area and a variety of features. It’s built to last, easy to clean, and offers ultimate control at your fingertips with its digital control and display.
How to Choose Best Pellet Grill under $500
Pellet smokers have become increasingly popular among grill enthusiasts in recent years. They offer a unique flavor and a convenient way to cook, smoke, and grill your favorite meats.
If you are looking to buy the best pellet smoker under $500, there are several factors to consider before making your purchase.
In this buying guide, we will provide you with a comprehensive list of features to look out for, and we’ll also suggest one or two pellet smokers from our above list that fit the criteria of being the best pellet smokers under $500.
Features to Consider:
- Cooking Area: When selecting a pellet smoker, consider the cooking area that you will require. Do you cook for a large family or entertain large groups of people? Look for a pellet smoker with a larger cooking area.
- Temperature Range: A good pellet smoker should have a temperature range that allows for a variety of cooking styles, from slow smoking to high-temperature searing. Look for a smoker that can reach at least 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Hopper Capacity: The hopper is where you store the pellets for the smoker. Look for a smoker with a hopper capacity of at least 10 pounds, so you don’t have to refill it constantly.
- Build Quality: Consider the quality of the smoker’s construction. Look for one made of durable materials that can withstand extreme temperatures and harsh weather conditions.
- Ease of Use: Choose a pellet smoker that is easy to use and control. Look for one with an intuitive control panel and a digital display that shows the temperature and cooking time.
- Additional Features: Consider additional features that enhance the smoker’s functionality, such as Wi-Fi connectivity, meat probes, and built-in thermometers.
Our Top Picks:
Based on the above criteria, we suggest two pellet smokers as the best options under $500:
- Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett WiFi Controlled Portable Wood Pellet Grill: This portable pellet smoker is perfect for tailgating, camping, or backyard barbecues. It has a cooking area of 219 square inches and a hopper capacity of 9 pounds. The temperature range of 150 to 550 degrees Fahrenheit and Wi-Fi connectivity make it easy to use and control.
- Cuisinart CPG-4000 Wood BBQ Pellet Grill and Smoker: With a cooking area of 450 square inches and a hopper capacity of 15 pounds, this pellet smoker offers plenty of space for larger cookouts. It also has a temperature range of 200 to 700 degrees Fahrenheit and comes with a weather-resistant cover. The shelves and side tray add to the smoker’s convenience and functionality.
When looking for the best pellet smoker under $500, consider the above features to make an informed decision. Whether you choose the Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett or the Cuisinart CPG-4000, you are sure to enjoy delicious and smoky BBQ meals with your family and friends. Happy grilling!
Frequently Asked Question
How do pellet smokers work?
Pellet smokers work by using wood pellets as fuel to heat up the cooking chamber. The pellets are fed into a hopper where they are then transported to the firepot using an auger.
An igniter then lights the pellets, creating smoke and heat that circulates around the food being cooked. A digital controller regulates the temperature and can be adjusted to achieve the desired temperature for cooking.
Can you grill on a pellet smoker?
Yes, pellet smokers are versatile and can be used for grilling, smoking, roasting, baking, and more. They are especially great for grilling because they can achieve high temperatures quickly and maintain them consistently.
How long do wood pellets last in a pellet smoker?
The length of time wood pellets last in a pellet smoker depends on several factors, including the size of the hopper, the temperature being cooked at, and the type of wood used. On average, a 20-pound bag of wood pellets can last between 6 to 20 hours of cooking time.
What are the benefits of using a pellet smoker?
Pellet smokers have several benefits, including convenience, versatility, and consistent temperature control. They are easy to use and require minimal attention, making them a great choice for busy individuals.
They also offer the ability to smoke meat for long periods of time without having to constantly check and adjust the temperature.
Are pellet smokers under $500 worth buying?
Yes, pellet smokers under $500 can be a great investment for anyone looking to start smoking or grilling at home.
While they may not have all the bells and whistles of more expensive models, they still offer consistent temperature control and the ability to smoke and grill a variety of foods.
The Broil King 495051 Regal Pellet 500 Pellet Grill and the Weber 23510201 SmokeFire EX4 Wood Fired Pellet Grill are both great options for anyone looking for a high-quality pellet smoker under $500.
After diving into the world of pellet smokers under $500, I can confidently say that there are plenty of great options available for those who want to experience the convenience and flavor of pellet smoking without breaking the bank.
From versatile grills that can smoke, grill, and bake, to models with advanced features like Bluetooth connectivity and built-in temperature probes, there’s something for everyone.
But before you make a purchase, it’s important to consider factors like cooking surface area, hopper capacity, and ease of use to ensure you’re getting the right model for your needs.
With so many options available, it’s easy to find a pellet smoker that fits your budget and your barbecue goals.